Bank of America is one of the world’s largest financial institutions, serving individual consumers, small and middle market businesses and large corporations with a full range of banking, investing, asset management and other financial and risk-management products and services. Following the acquisition of Merrill Lynch on January 1, 2009, Bank of America is among the world’s leading wealth management companies and is a global leader in corporate and investment banking and trading across a broad range of asset classes serving corporations, governments, institutions and individuals around the world. In Canada, Bank of America has a strong market position on which to continue to build, as well as a clear commitment to the market.
The candidate will advise senior management in Canada on local corporate, securities and banking law matters, participate in local governance routines, and assist bankers structure and execute a range of banking (primarily global treasury services including institutional client account documentation, trade finance, supply chain finance, banknotes, Canadian payment system and client insolvencies) and markets (e.g., fixed income and equity sales and trading, residential mortgage origination and securitization) transactions that have a Canadian legal element.
- Assisting in the preparation, review and negotiation of transaction related documentation
- Coordinating and responding to queries from bankers and other administrative and control functions on legal matters relating to or arising out of the global banking and markets businesses and domestic and international transactions
- Along with compliance, providing guidance on the interpretation and implementation of laws, rules and regulations and Firm policies, procedures and guidelines
- Identifying changes in regulations or market developments and updating the business and other functions
- Engaging and managing outside counsel, as necessary
- Liaising with the litigation and regulatory investigations team as needed to address investigations, disputes and litigation matters
- Sharing and assisting in the management of know-how with other members of the global legal team in all other regions (US, Latin America, Europe and Asia Pacific)
- Developing a relationship with the local lines of business as a trusted strategic partner to the business
- Providing sophisticated and practical advice to the business
- 6+ years at an internationally known law firm (or in house at an investment bank) with significant experience advising on Canadian corporate, securities and banking law matters and treasury services transactions
- Excellent interpersonal skills – needs to be able to communicate effectively with senior management, bankers and support colleagues
- Sound judgement – needs to be able to measure risk/reward in a practical yet sound manner
- Ontario law qualified
- Working knowledge of US securities laws
- Working knowledge of repurchase and securities lending transactions, OTC derivatives as well as the related netting opinions
- Experience with Canadian related capital markets
What Bank of America Offers
Bank of America embodies a culture that extends from how we think, to how we behave, and to how we measure performance. By achieving excellence – in everything we do, every time we do it – we deliver the full value of Bank of America for our clients, our shareholders and our employees.
Bank of America places a high value on talent and on maintaining a culture defined by meritocracy. For these reasons, it is deeply committed to professional development, opportunity and accountability at all levels of the organization.
Bank of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bank of America encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Applicants with disabilities may notify us of any accommodations needed to support your participation in the recruitment process. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying. Please be aware that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted for this position